Sunday, July 31, 2016

The BIG 4-0!!


Y'all, I'm more excited about turning 40 than I was about turning 16 or 21. August 1, 2016 will be the best day ever! I remember being 16 and my mom turning 40. I thought she was such a grown-up. At that time, and even up until recently, I thought all Forty year olds had their shit together. I mean, seriously. Forty year olds are supposed to be debt free, with 6 months worth of savings in the bank, and their kids' college educations fully funded. Forty year olds are supposed to behave themselves and take vitamins every day. Forty year olds are supposed to live every moment with and for their children.

Um....This girl? Not so much. But, who cares?

I am at an age where I can honestly say, with absolute certainty and sincerity, that I no longer give a damn what anyone thinks of me. I may not be debt free with 6 months savings and fully-funded college educations, but I will one day. (In the meantime, know anyone who wants to buy or sell a house?) I have learned that I have to take time for myself and I absolutely have to have time with my girlfriends. Know what else I've learned? Taking family vacations with just my husband and my kids is the best thing ever. We just spent the week in Colorado and it was so fun to get away from reality and just be together. Just me and my perfect little family. And a hailstorm, but whatever. Yay for being an adult and having great insurance!

I am more comfortable in my body now than ever. Sure, parts of my body are lower than they used to be and I've got tiger stripes. (That sounds so much better than stretch-marks, don't you think?) I have pains in new places everyday and make noises that only my grandma used to make, but y'all, I've been through so much! And I am STRONG! In 40 years, I lost my mother and became a mother myself. I graduated from the best university in the world. WHOOP! I have not just navigated roads people fear, but made the path wide enough to support others on their journey. I am in better physical shape now than I was 20 years ago. I trained for 3 marathons and in the process, completed 6 half marathons and 2 full marathons in the past 3 years, and it's all because I wanted to complete a 5K before I turned 40. I grew, inside my body, the two most gorgeous boys on the planet. I don't hesitate to jump on stage and sing with the band. I can do the splits and the worm...but not at the same time. That would be dangerous. 

So, everyone go grab a glass of wine and let's celebrate....all month long!!






1 comment:

  1. Adorable! I could tell the first time I met you you were full of life and a fun person! Happy Birthday !!!

    ReplyDelete